Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's Not about How We Look!

I am going to start this post by complaining about today's run, it was really hard! Not hard in the way that we ran a hard route, or ran up some tough hills, or even ran faster than usual which is always hard. It was just "hard" all the way around! We all felt like our legs were made of lead and the 4+ miles that we ran just seemed to go on forever. It was warmer than we thought it was going to be but I can't even say that the wind which had been blowing quit hard, really was a factor. It was just a bad day to run. I am going to be honest with those who read this blog and think that we blaze along on the trails and barely break a sweat, today we stopped twice for water breaks and had a hard time getting started again. All in all we were shocked to find out that we averaged 9.35 per mile, considering we were dragging along the last mile at over 10+. The good thing is that they are not all like today, and we have been running long enough to know that more than likely the next run will be better. I am a bit afraid though because our next run is the "Women's Only" 5K this Sat. morning, I mean, what were we thinking. I just hope my legs recover by Sat. and I don't have to stop for water during the race! I came home from this run to find out that a friend of my 16 yr. old son had seen us while we were running and felt compelled to text him and let him know. I don't know if she thought we looked good or not, but she did mention our matching "neon" water belts! Coming from a kid who could care less about how my runs go, he seemed awfully eager to let me know what she said! (hmm)

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

It sounds like you're holding back on us. What did your son's friend really say? We already know what your husband calls our matching water belts. Should we just quit now? It's a good thing there isn't a Starbucks or Peete's along our running routes, otherwise we would be seriously tempted to stop and take a break for a while. I agree, today I was not feeling it, but it's understandable with the workout we had on Monday. I'm sure our legs will recover by Saturday.

Patty said...

I am not holding back, that is all I got out of him. He just seemed very amused at her observation, knowing how my husband feels about our water belts. We know what to do if any of them ever ask for a drink on a hot day!

Claire said...

Now I am on the edge of my seat wanting to know what the water belts are called!

I am impressed that you can start running again after a break-I had to stop to tie my shoe a few days ago and could barely start up again after that. And once I stop to walk, I usually can't run again!

I sure hope it isn't about how we look because I'm pretty sure that I look horrible when I run. Between all the gasping, flopping around, and my bright red face, I'm sure I look like a real winner.