Friday, April 17, 2009

Double Trouble!

Today Marathon Mom and I both had the day off, so it was someone's idea that since we weren't going to be able to fit in a long run this weekend, we should run twice today. We planned on running about 5 miles this morning, and then joining our other M.O.R.E. friends for a shorter 3 mile run in the afternoon. We started our run from Peet's and took the South Fork trail out and back. Marathon Mom mentioned that we were getting close to the three mile mark going out, so we both decided to run the last little bit. That last little bit seemed to go on forever, and I felt like I may have been tricked into going three miles (it has happened before). We finished our run and kept a pretty decent pace of around 9:40 ish so we were happy with that for a 6 mile run. The weather was just beautiful so we sat outside and had coffee before we started the rest of our day. At 4pm we met our friends C, M and Picture Lady at Central Park for the rest of our run. Since the weather had warmed up considerably and we were at Central Park (ugh!) we all agreed that a 3 mile loop would be just fine. Luckily there was a bit of a breeze blowing, so the heat was not too bad, but I was very glad to finish our running for the day, and actually for the weekend, as I will be watching my #5 son play in a basketball tournament. Marathon Mom claimed her legs felt better during our second run, and I have to admit that mine felt pretty good too, kind of loosened up. We ran our 3 miles at a respectable 9:21 pace, and spent some time laughing with the girls afterward. I can't say that I would like to do double runs on a regular basis, in fact a familiar children's song kept going through my head on my last mile of the day while I thought about my aches and pains. See if you know it,
Hips, and Quads, Knees, and Toes, Knees and Toes, Oh come on you can sing along if you like. Alright I am done for the day, obviously a bit loopy, but I just want to send a special shout out to the "Silver Fox" on Rio Pecos, I LOVE YOU!

5 comments:

marathon mom said...

I love the title for today! I was pleasantly surprised that I felt as well as I did on our second round of running for today. While it did get a bit hotter this afternoon, it was still tolerable compared to that nasty wind we've been having. I wouldn't mind doing more of these doubles. BTW, did you happen to notice the new picture? The good thing about that picture is that you can't blow it up when you click on it like the others. I consider that first 1/2 as our first "real" race together.

Patty said...

I did notice the new picture, I like the fact that you can't click on it and enlarge it, it stays. I am not sure when we will find the time for two runs a day, maybe during the summer as a way to get more mileage in. I am kind of glad we have the weekend off, it is supposed to be pretty hot, but unfortunately it still will be on Monday. Good luck to you son with the soccer games, and to C's daughter and her test tomorrow!

marathon mom said...

Thanks and good luck at the basketball tournament. Doesn't the song go "Head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes. Eyes and ears and nose and mouth, head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes." I can't believe I still remember that song from Busytown! Although it's not surprising since my kids watched the video a million times when they were young. Have a nice relaxing weekend sleeping in and don't worry about the rest of us that have to get up at the crack of dawn on both days.

Wanda said...

Dear Patty, The "silver fox" is out running at the moment. He is doing fine. No results yet on tests. Sounds like you girls are really running up a storm. No matter how bad you think you do just be thankful you can still get out and do it. I can't and I envy all of you.Keep up the good work. Hope the basketball tournament goes well.

Claire said...

You ladies are awesome. That is all.