Monday, April 27, 2009

Up and Running

Well after a weekend at home with the swine (I mean stomach) flu, Marathon Mom felt well enough to join C and I for a run this afternoon. Our wacky weather kept the temps downright cold for most of the day, and of course by late afternoon the winds had kicked up quite nicely. We started from Heritage Park, because we have gotten into a rut at our beloved Cheesepark. The plan was to run toward Bridgeport and hook up with the Lowe's trail for an out and back of around 3 miles. When we reached Bridgeport Park, we stopped for a breath and decided to run around the Bridgeport Lake. Luckily the gnats were not out at the time we ran and it was a nice change of scenery. We managed to stay together for the entire run and get in some good conversation while doing it. The pace was slow, but it counts as a "recovery" run, and it is just nice to have everyone feeling good again. I just know the "hills" and the "speed work" are in our future. Are hives a symptom of the "swine" flu? I am just curious.

4 comments:

marathon mom said...

No, I haven't heard anything about hives as a symptom of the swine flu. I think it's a symptom of drinking the wrong kind of wine when you're allergic to sulfites. I wish I could say I felt great today on our run, but I wouldn't be telling the truth and you would know it. My stomach still has not recovered completely, which was my real reason for choosing that route (bathroom at the start and another at the halfway point). Thankfully I didn't need them and the way back along the lake was soooo pretty with the reflection of the sun on the water. I really enjoyed the scenery and it helped take my mind off of how badly I felt. For some reason the route along the lake always seemed so much farther, but today it went by so fast. It must have been the company and all the catching up we did. I really missed running with the girls over the weekend.

Patty said...

I was thinking the same thing when we finished running around the lake. It was just so pleasant today, cooler and no gnats in the mouth. It was nice to run easy and talk the whole way, we don't do that very much these days. I like the fact that we are mixing it up with our routes, today's run felt like a new one since it has been so long since we've run it. You will be back to full strength in no time.

Picture Lady said...

Sore throat? Is that how it begins? I woke up at 2am and took some aspirin.
Went for my 3 miles at 8am, it was pleasant in spite of my throat and no companions. I'm debating a doctor visit for the throat.
Sounds like the trio is doing well again...I suspected Marathon Mom wouldn't be down for long.

I like Tennyson also...
"How dull it is to pause, to make an end, to rust unburnish’d, not to shine in use!"

marathon mom said...

I never got a sore throat. It was all in the stomach. #2 son got a sore throat and fever, but he already better now. I think we both got a virus at the same time from a restaurant we went to.