Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Weighty Issue

Patty and I discuss this topic quite often, how to eat enough to still be able to run well and yet be able to lose those few extra pounds from the holidays. I came upon this article from another runner's blog, which I found helpful and interesting. One of the key points is to eat a larger breakfast, something I have been trying to do lately even when I'm not hungry. I'm usually a coffee only gal in the morning. I hope you find the article interesting.


http://www.active.com/running/Articles/4_Ways_to_Reach_Your_Ideal_Racing_Weight.htm

4 comments:

justme said...

helpful, now i just need to implement

Patty said...

If we could just combine this with the "recovery run" advice and eat a big breakfast soon after our long runs, maybe we would run better and lose weight. I think my advancing age is making it harder to keep the weight from gathering around my middle no matter how much I run it seems to just stay there.

Claire said...

Isn't it interesting how easy and straightforward it is to eat right and lose weight? Too bad it is not so easy in execution.

Forget the social pressure to gorge; I need to resist my own pressure. If I could get past that, a lot of my problems would be solved!

marathon mom said...

I think there is something to the idea of eating a bigger breakfast. I notice I'm less hungry throughout the day and usually can skip lunch (not a good idea) when I eat a large breakfast. I know it has something to do with tricking your metabolism and letting your body know that it doesn't have to store fat for later, that it will eat again. The problem for me is time. During the week, it's tough enough getting breakfast on the table in time befor school, let alone for me before getting ready for work. I will have to make a better effort.

BTW, Catalina was beautiful. we did a 3 mile hike to the top of the island and got a view of the ocean on both sides of the island. It was a very steep incline and now the tops of my glutes are killing me! The hike took us to the TransCatalina trail which runs the length of the entire island. It would make a great run. I wonder if that's where they run their marathon?