Saturday, April 18, 2009

Did You Eat Your Iron Today?

The bottoms of my feet have been sore since we ran our higher mileage yesterday and it got me thinking about a study I once read regarding the loss of iron through the bottom of our feet. One of our running friends has been feeling a little sluggish and I wonder if iron could be the culprit. As runners, we tend to be more at-risk for low iron, just enough to make us feel less than our best, but not necessarily anemic. It turns out not only do we need more iron by virtue of our physical activity, but the activity itself destroys the very nutrient we need by the condition called footstrike hemolysis. Footstrike hemolysis is defined as:

Repeated foot strike associated with running causes red blood cells to break down. Red cells circulating in capillaries through the bottom of the feet are crushed by the foot strike. The faster red blood cells break down from foot-strike hemolysis, the more difficult it is for athletes to maintain a normal concentration of red blood cells (their bodies can't make the red blood cells fast enough), which may result in anemia.


There's a link to an article stressing the importance of iron, especially for women runners. It's a bit scientific, but if you can get through it, there is some good info in there. So remember what your mom always told you, "Eat your spinach".

http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/nut-the-oxygen-nutrient-performance-relationship

3 comments:

Picture Lady said...

I liked the "M.O.R.E Founders" photo that was added to the sight! Not sure which of you posted it, but it's a really nice touch!

"... A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world. ~Lois Wyse

marathon mom said...

The day that picture was taken was a very special day. It sealed our fate as friends and runners, but more importantly it made us realize that we can get through some of the toughest moments of our lives with just a little help from our friends.

Patty said...

I agree about the picture, that was a very special day. I had been thinking for the longest time that I should train and run a half marathon, I knew I could do it. I felt so lucky to find other people who felt the same way, and the benefit of making two new friends was even better than finishing the race. I look forward to the races we will run!