Saturday, April 4, 2009

Women's 5K Today

Today was the Santa Clarita Runner's "Women's 5K". Since we are women and we are runners we thought it would be a fun race to participate in. Actually our friend "C" claims that we forced her to do it, but that is really not the point. I guess in hindsight the fact that the race was being run at "Central Park" the dustbowl of Santa Clarita, should have warned us away from doing it, but we were still on a runner's high from some semi-successful hillwork, and what we thought was a couple of good "speed" workouts. We figured at any rate we would get a cool shirt, and that the entrance fees were going to a good cause. Well the "cool" shirt looks like it would fit a 12 year old, but is kinda cute, and the money did in fact go to a good cause. The outcome of this race was less than we hoped for, and I speak entirely for myself. "Marathon Mom" as always ran a very respectable 25:52 (correct me if I am wrong), I on the other hand just couldn't keep my legs moving and the plan to run each mile faster than the first, was out the window after the first one! I truly wanted to stop and walk and since there really weren't many runners out there, it seemed like I was running by myself. My time of 27:32 was fine but somehow I had envisioned being just under 27 minutes since it seems like we have really been working on running faster. Our friend "C' came in at 29:17 and I know she wasn't too happy with that time either. I am glad nevertheless that we challenged ourselves to try and that now we have a time to beat for this year. I did my best to crop this picture to flatter us the best but I still look bigger than everyone else (I am going to stop standing in the middle and turn a bit sideways, and maybe stick my hand on my hip or something) Anyway, I promised I would post, so I hope I didn't embarrass my friends by publishing our picture and our times, but I am proud of us! I am off to visit colleges for a couple of days with my 4th son, so the girls will have to run without me. I am going to miss a good hill run on Monday, let me know about the next

4 comments:

marathon mom said...

I thought you were still having computer issues so I posted today's run. I guess I jumped the gun. You did a very nice job of cropping our picture in the appropriate places. And you can tell how windy it got by our hair and the balloons in the background. I'm telling you, Central Park is very deceptive. It looks like an easy course, but it's not. Comparing times of runners from the C.O.C. races to their times at C.P., their C.P. times are almost always a bit slower. I think it's because much of it is in a sand pit and because of the many obstacles one needs to avoid along the trail. BTW, the shirt fits, but a short for my tastes.

Patty said...

I think also, there is a point I will reach where I just am not going to get faster, I am closing in on the big "50" and should be glad just to be out there participating. I did get the computer going but it has been a hectic day, have a good run with "C" Monday.

Claire said...

I am so impressed with everyone's times, especially considering the wind and difficult course. Truly, you all did an awesome job!

Picture Lady said...

Awesome! And Kudos to you all! Great Picture.
I'm proud and jealous! The weather may have been windy , but it was cool. I much prefer cool weather for running. I guess the wearing of the tee shirts with the matching water belts could be problematic though!?
I am am having visions of the "powerpuff girls" http://images-partners.google.com/images?q=tbn:E5gpIrdW6ydnyM:http://web.up.ac.za/sitefiles/image/20/6884/Powerpuff_Girls.jpg