Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hill Repeats

This morning I dragged myself out of bed and was sorely disappointed to see that the weather was nice enough for a run with my friends. Although I had missed running so far this week because of my trip "north", I was exhausted, and hoping to just go back to sleep for a little bit longer. The mention of "hill repeats" was lurking somewhere in my mind as I slowly got ready for the inevitable. We started out a Cheesepark and ran our hilly route, through the paseos that lead to the back of Helmer's Elementary School. I was surprised that my legs felt so fresh, I guess all that walking around the universities helped, but didn't wear them out like I was afraid. Standing at the bottom of the "water tower" hill, Marathon Mom told us we would be running uphill, as fast as we could for 10 seconds. We did this over and over for a total of 12 times, and I have to say, that 10 seconds of hill running is totally doable. We even discussed if we were working hard enough at one point. I have read articles in "Runners World" about how this exact type of workout can help you build speed, I can't remember how many repeats were needed, but I think what we did today was a good start. I am sure we will be feeling it in the legs tomorrow, but I was very happy to finish another somewhat challenging workout, especially since I was doing a dance and praying for rain just last night! With Marathon Mom out of town, we will have to come up with something creative on our own for Friday's run 8am @ Lowe's.

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

Today's hill repeats did feel much easier than when we run up the entire hill only 1x without stopping. It really did feel like 10 seconds was not quite enough. However, I did feel the exhaustion on the way back, especially on the switchbacks. You were running like your legs were very fresh. I hope you have fun on your Friday run. If your legs are sore from today, then it will be a good day to take it slow and run easy.

Patty said...

I did feel good today, but I can't quite stay up with you and C on the hills. I want to do those repeats again because I think I can improve. Friday will be an easy run for sure and we will wait for you on Sat. if you like, let us know. Have fun!