Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Maxi Dress???


This is sort of off topic for this blog, but now that Spring is here I've been seeing more and more of these "maxi" dresses. First of all, why do they call them "maxi" dresses? Couldn't they just call them for what they are, long dresses? The word "maxi" reminds me of something else. The first time I saw these dresses on someone was after our run at Peete's. It actually looked quite good on this girl, but she was a "girl" in the sense that she was very young (early 20's), tall, and slender none of which fit my physical description. I'm not sure if it would work on the average woman of our age who is about 5'3" to 5'4". As it is, I'm not really a dressy type of person. I'm more of a t-shirt and shorts type. Who knows, maybe I'll be tempted to try one on for the summer if I see someone of my age and height wearing one and it still looks good.

3 comments:

Patty said...

I have one and I have worn it to a family get together, but am not sure if it is appropriate to wear to the store etc. I am suspicious of too many ruffles but would buy another one if I liked it. The one I have cost me $13 so it wasn't much of a risk! I am a bit older than you and not any taller so I think you should go for it.

marathon mom said...

I think it's the name of the dresses that bother me more than what they might look like on me. The term "maxi" dress just bugs me.
Who knows, you might see me in one over the summer, but I have many miles to run before I can wear one.

Picture Lady said...

"Maxi" versus "Mini" dress... My 21 year old daughter and her 22 year old friend said they love them! "The dress softly moves when you move and they're so feminine"... I'm 5'1" so I shy away from floor length dresses, unless they have a slit to the knee or are more fitted in the torso. The girls immediately squealed ~"lets go shopping, we'll help you pick one!"~ But, I like my sporty run about attire and simple skirt and shirt is more my style. But, I may check one out.
Is the next girls night out a "MAXI" event? :-)