Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Friends = Long Life

I figured there was some other motive as to why my friends keep putting up with me and as it turns out it's probably because studies show that friends add years to your life. I knew there was an ulterior motive! I know when I've had a bad day, I can't wait to run with my friends. Not because the running itself relieves stress, but because I can unload all my worries on them. The article below talks about studies done on friendships and it's possible increase in longevity:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/health/21well.html?_r=1&em

As I recently told a friend of mine who was having trouble with a family member, "You can't choose your family, but you can always choose your friends".

1 comment:

Patty said...

I can't count the times I couldn't wait for a run so that I could tell my friends something that was bothering me. Just the getting it out part seems to relieve some of the stress immediately. Being a good friend is being a good "listener" and I hope that I am learning that from my friends. Here's to a longer life spent running and enjoying the company of good friends!