Thursday, March 12, 2009

Just Say It

Patty and I ran today from Chesebrough down the bike trail toward Heritage Park and back for about 3 miles at 9.23 pace. I thought it was a decent pace considering the strong headwind and the fact that we had to run the hilly portion of the trail twice. On our way out we were talking about how negative thoughts could really affect how your run turns out, so we kept our conversation light and mainly discussed work. The funny thing is, I think we both felt like cr*p the whole way, but neither one of us wanted to say it first, until we were done. Then we let loose about how awful we felt the whole way. I think neither one of us wanted to ruin it for the other while we were running. No matter how crummy I felt today, I'm glad I was finally able to get together with my friend and run. Don't forget to wear your pink tomorrow in support of our teachers!

2 comments:

Patty said...

I didn't want to write two posts in a row about how bad the run was, but it really was. Considering what is going on at work, it is hard to keep it light, we are going to lose some good teachers and that is very depressing.

Picture Lady said...

Well, since I’m not training for a ½ marathon or any other race my expectations are different than you all. Exercise IS my stress release! The act of successfully making time to exercise enables me to have enough emotional engagement to enjoy what I’m doing. I am happy to just do the best I can at that moment with what I have to work with on any given day. Focusing on the changes that I have no control over is unhealthy. I learned that lesson when life’s demands overwhelmed ME several years ago. Like you both I struggle with all those mother, friend, family and economic things. I am not a teacher, but I prefer the mix of young enthusiastic teachers that breathe life into the system and are now unfortunately the new hires that may loose their jobs. If the schools were allowed to let those go that were no longer “enamored “ with teaching some of their problems may automatically be solved. Change is inevitable. California is paying the price of trying to solve all people’s problems with a few peoples money.