Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's Hot!

We all agreed that it is way too hot for this time of year. We ran a modified tempo run from Cheese Park today and even with the heat, we could see how we've improved. The first mile for me was faster than expected at 7.34/mi pace and Patty and C not were far behind at 8.30 pace. The second mile back was more miserable. Toward the end of the second mile our legs were feeling like jello and at times I was struggling to keep under a 9/mi pace. Overall, I was able to maintain an average pace of 8.0/mile pace for two miles and Patty and C came in around 9.0/mi. pace. Not bad on a hot day for a couple of old gals. I really think if we were running in the morning when it's cooler, the times would come down quite a bit. It's nice to see our pace improving, but it's also a wake up call for me. Most races are 3 miles and if my legs were feeling like jello at the end of 2 miles, I can't imagine what they would feel like at the end of mile 3 in a race. You'd probably have to peel me off the pavement! Our next run will be an easy run on Friday at 4:15 at the same place, just to shake out the legs.

4 comments:

Patty said...

I was thinking as I was running today, "I think I was still running", that "marathon mom" wanted some new running partners and was trying to eliminate us with a tempo run. I should be happy that I maintained the pace I did, but I admit to walking and feeling like *!$@ the whole time. I really need a better result if I have to feel that bad! I am looking forward to that "easy" run to shake out my legs which look and feel like jello!

marathon mom said...

I have always believed that if we "applied" ourselves a little bit, we could run our 3 mile loop from Cheese Park or any 3 miles at under 9 min miles. You and C just needed a little kick in the butt to see that it is now possible. These jello legs need to go to bed. I think I'll be sore tomorrow.

Claire said...

Wow, I am in awe of all the fast paces! Moxie and I ran today and we tried to be inspired by this post, but sadly it was not to be.

I think you should all rest on your laurels for a bit and congratulate yourselves on a great run!

Picture Lady said...

Easy Run?
I am considering not running this morning in lieu of running WITH you all at 4:15... not sure of this "Cheesy Park" meet spot though.