Monday, March 9, 2009

Triathlon Training

The professional triathlete was back again today at the Storm practice. M, C, and I ran with a group of kids to Copperhill and back from Valencia High as part of our run. That was the easy part. When we got back, the triathlete had us all working on our core muscles. He basically had us doing 45 second intervals of different abdominal, triceps, back, and push up exercises, which he repeated several times. Mind you, the kids and obviously the men have never been pregnant so their abdominal muscles are more intact. The exercises were very tough and I was feeling it, especially the arms since they were still sore from yesterday's swim. I understand the importance of a strong core for running, but I still hate doing them. Wednesday is supposed to be a track workout, so M and I are hoping we can get away and just run on our own. I'm looking forward to Thursday when we can all hook up again for a run. It's been too too long!

2 comments:

Picture Lady said...

We all have natural strengths & weaknesses. My weakness has always been my arms, my strength is my legs and abdomen. Core training though ensures stability deep in the abdominal and lower back. Weak or poorly controlled core muscles have been associated with low back pain. A problem that I believe I'm now struggling with a little... maybe because of having 3 babies, maybe age? The Chiropractor I'm seeing feels my yoga is a good cross trainer for me. But I may steal my daughters medicine ball for some additional core work since I don't workout with The Storm Track Club :-)
Hope you all can hook-up this week. But, it seems like a breather from constant companions can be refreshing too. Sunshine in the forecast!

Patty said...

Sounds like a good workout last night, I am sorry that I missed it. My core could use some strengthening, it is just becoming a big ball of dough! I hope we can run together at some point this week, have you had enough of a breather?