Monday, March 30, 2009

4.25 miles of Hills

It was just Patty and me on our run today. I had a route mapped out beforehand in my mind and I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I figured we would get through it one way or another. We started at our usual Cheese Park and headed into the bike path towards Decoro. This was the only flat or downgrade part of the run. Once we reached Decoro, we left the bike path and headed up the paseos toward Helmers. Mind you, this is all up hill towards Helmers. Once we got to Helmers, I was feeling pretty lousy. My legs were tired from the beginning and I was hot because I made the unwise decision to wear long sleeves. I was cold all day and thought it would continue that way. I should know better. Patty seemed up to the challenge of climbing that *#%! water tower hill and I didn't want to disappoint her so I climbed it with her. I say "climb" because running doesn't quite describe the way we're moving on the way up. This was Patty's first time making it to the top without stopping! Once we walked down, we still had the switchbacks to run up. I think I wanted to stop more than I care to admit during this run. I really felt lousy the whole way, but I didn't whine and complain about it until the very end. I was shocked to see that our overall pace was 9.34, even with the water tower because I felt like I was crawling today.


Lately we've been working on bringing our overall pace down. There is a study that suggests that there is an optimal pace for each person. On average for men it's 7.13 min/mi. and for woman 9.08 min./mi. The study is quite interesting. Here's the link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/perfectrunningpacerevealed

2 comments:

Patty said...

I felt like today's run had highs ad lows. There were times I felt like I wanted to quit, and times (mostly on the downhill) that I felt like my legs were doing a good job. I know that neither one of us wanted to run up to the water tower today, but I also knew it would be the day I would not stop and walk! I feel good about our run today, the good and bad parts because we did more than we planned to do, and more than I could have done even a short time ago!

Picture Lady said...

I liked the link; ~Perfect Running Pace Revealed~ I agree with their statement;"The legs are loose, the heart is pumping and it feels like you could run at this pace forever." I have no idea what my actual pace is at that point but it is revealed for me somewhere after that first 1/4 mile that I absentmindedly settle into it and feel comfortable. I even maintain it on shorter uphills and down hills.
Wish my hip bones would obey and do what I want. Oh, to be a little younger... but at this point I will take what I can get and enjoy!