Saturday, March 14, 2009

All in a Day's Work

We started out from Peete's this morning at 7:30 without our friend "C" who was home sick. "Picture Lady took her place and what started out as a struggle turned into a really nice Saturday run. It was cold to start with, but I think it is because it was technically still 6:30 when we started (I know we will appreciate "daylight savings time" when it warms up a bit but not yet) K and I put in at least 6 miles, and I think a little more but I am not the one with the GPS, I do know that we averaged about a 9:17 pace which makes me very happy, especially after the hard time I had earlier in the week. "Picture Lady" ran/walked for 5 miles and kept up a very nice pace which seemed to really make her happy. It was nice to have her company and we crossed paths for a bit around the 2 - 2 1/2 mile mark. I don't know if we are just getting more comfortable with eachother but there was a lot of burping and spitting going on, you'd have thought we were a bunch of teenage boys. Never mind how we got it done, the point is that we did, and we got to sit and have a cup of coffee together, and then head off to watch our kids play basketball and soccer. My son's team won their first and last game of the season and I was so glad to get to see it all. Even though the day is little more than half over, I am feeling quite content to have accomplished so much already! Next run is Monday afternoon 4:45 at Cheesburger Park (Chesebrough just does not roll off the tongue!) I am hoping "C" is feeling better by then and that she reads this post so she will know that we missed her today.

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

Today was certainly a full day and I am now exhausted, but I am glad the day started with our run. From running at South Fork to a soccer game in San Juan Capistrano and back to Valencia for a CD release makes for a very long day. However, I think the running helps me keep my energy level up the rest of the day. I was very happy with our pace today. I do think we will need to start from Lowes once in a while if we want to get in more than 6 miles.

Oh and BTW, I want to make it clear to our followers that I was not the one burping or spitting, at least not today!

Picture Lady said...

Ok, I was the one spitting! The chill made my nose run and well...
YES! I was quite pleased with myself. I dutifully, briskly walked my first mile in lieu of stretching cold muscles and then ran the last 4 miles... and did that in 50 minutes!It was a new mile stone for me. I had changed my routine the past 2 weeks to walk 1 mile +run 2miles every other day, with two of the in between days filled with 1 1/2 hrs. of yoga and then totally resting the 7th day ~because of a hip to knee problem I'm having on my left side. This routine worked out awesome and prepared me for doing more Saturday with you.
It was fun running some WITH you two than alone all the time. But, when I'm alone I maintain my pace easier in some weird way. I am still accustom to "journaling" in my head while I run and that helps me just go. Where as when I'm with you all I worry about running your pace.
As we talked at the end we all agreed that mile 2 then 3 even 4 is somehow a lot easier than mile 1. Endorphins, momentum, something kicks in and the running just keeps a beat. I now believe I could eventually run a short race and get some pleasure out of it.
Thanks, I had a lot of fun!

Patty said...

Ran with the husband this afternoon at Central Park, I don't miss that place at all. I take credit for the burping but as any runner knows there are far worse things that can go on during a run, so I am not too embarrassed, especially since it makes me feel so much better. I hope my legs will not be too shaky tomorrow.