Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Fluid Summer

Belt or no belt? That is the question we often ask eachother when we're ready to go out on a run. By belt, I mean our water belts. Lately we've been leaving our water belts behind for the shorter runs (4 miles or less). There's so much myth and confusion about water, as to how much to drink, how often to drink, when to drink that it gets sort of confusing. I think one reason for the confusion is that it really depends on the individuals metabolism and how much someone perspires. Everyone is different and we each have a different "sweat rate". I found this interesting article that discusses how you can gauge how much water you should be drinking based upon your perspiration level and your weight loss through water during the day. It's a different way to approach this hydration or dehydration issue.

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Fluid_Facts_for_Athletes.htm

Making sure we get plenty of fluid is especially important these summer months. The guy who runs the marathon training program suggested we start taking in more fluids starting Wednesday for preparation for our long runs on Sunday. I usually don't think that far in advance, but I do try to drink a lot the night before and I try to avoid alcohol. My friends know I've been putting a little slice of lime in with my water bottle, which helps quench the thirst a little better and gets rid of that sticky feeling in the mouth after you've been running a while.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I have been trying to get my family members to drink more water and they seem to be quite annoyed with me. The runners in my family have all been plagued at one time or another with leg cramps and I was told by a sports doctor that water is the key to cramps. I have increased my water intake quite a bit since we have been running together regularly, it wasn't easy at first but now it is just habit. The benefit that I notice is that I don't get nauseated the way I used to on hot runs. I do need to make a better effort to up my water intake and eat better when I know I am going on a long run. I am used to planning my whole weeks menu around my son's races, but seem to forget when I may need some extra carbs or protein, and even water!