Friday, June 26, 2009

It's Summer!

We started our run at 8am from Lowe's this morning. Marathon Mom, M our friend from work, and I headed out toward the Southfork trail with the intention of running a 5 mile out and back. We decided to skip the underpass and stayed on Bouquet and Valencia until we got to the trail that runs behind the baseball fields. It was nice and cool when we started out, but it was starting to heat up by the time we were done (any later would be impossible). Our friends C and Mary had met a bit later and ran into them going out when we were on our way back. We managed to get the 5 miles we were hoping for and keep a 9.2 pace on top of that. Our friend M is younger and a former high school runner, so when she runs with us, the pace is always a bit faster. I have to say that I can feel the pace and struggle a bit more to catch my breath, but I felt good today, up until the last mile or so. Mary and C joined us at Starbucks for some coffee and conversation before we all ran off to get something done at home. We spent a lot of time discussing books and have decided that Fridays will be our book swap day. I will be looking through mine to see what books I have that everyone might enjoy. The problem is that I am getting to the point that I don't remember that much from a book after I have read it, maybe I should just find a good one and read it over and over again!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

It WAS getting warm this morning. That's why South Fork is always such a nice trail with all the shade along there. I can't understand why they were taking all those pepper trees down. I felt a little tired in the legs still this morning and I'm hoping I'll feel a little more energetic by our long run on Sunday.

I think the book exchange is a great idea. I don't like the idea of a formal book club, but if we're getting together anyways for coffee, why not exchange books too. I have already started cleaning my bookshelf of books I've already read and have them in my car, otherwise I will forget to bring them. Unfortunately I'll be in Mammoth this Friday so I won't be able to participate the first time :( I did start reading Twilight and I have to say, I'm already hooked! We'll have to figure out how we want to pick a book and feature it on the blog. More to talk about on our long runs!

Patty said...

I am going to need convincing to get on that "Twilight" bandwagon, but if
we all read it, then maybe I will have you over to watch the movie. It is not really fair for you to come up with our book exchange idea and then go out of town, what were you thinking. See if you can get Deena to come out and run with us if she is ever in town, and don't beat her too badly on the mile! I hope to make the Sunday run, I am curling ribbon like a mad woman so it will all be done.