Friday, June 12, 2009

An Unexpected Detour



There is nothing more deflating than running all the way somewhere and thinking you are almost done when you see the road is closed and you have to turn and go back the other way. That is what happened to me, Patty and C on our run today. We started out from Peet's and ran up the east side of the river trail to Copperhill to the other side of the river and down toward the train bridge. C was feeling really good so she stuck it out with us and decided to go longer. When we got to the train bridge at mile 7, the entrance was completely fenced off and men with a huge crane were trying to lift a heavy piece of metal drum into some round well. We tried several times to get their attention to see if they would allow us to go around and pass, but they completely ignored us even with Patty just in her sports bra and her top off. Finally C was able to get one of their attention (I suggested that we flash them and then maybe they would look our way), but they still wouldn't let us pass. So. . . . we had to turn around and go back the way we came from. We even debated on trying to cross the riverbed, but it looked too thick and creepy down there. Sure there were road closed signs, but they had been there for the last 3 weeks and we were still able to cross. As it turns out, it really wasn't that much further going back another way, perhaps 1/4 mile more than had we actually crossed the train bridge. All in all, we all did fine and are now ready for two days off and Patty can enjoy her son's graduation!

5 comments:

Patty said...

Sorry about messing up the blog, I was on another computer and had trouble with my comment obviously. I just wanted let our readers know that it wasn't a Mardi Gras atmosphere on our run today! I did have to take my long sleeved shirt off but the combo of my shirt around my waist and my water belt covered most of me up, and I made sure only to run like that on the back trail where nobody was. We tried to get the construction workers to let us around their crane, and the huge hole in the ground, but even our blonde, cute, skinny friend "C" had no luck, they ignored us as best they could and then said "no way". I am so glad to have the 8 1/2 miles done and can now go to San Diego and enjoy graduation. This was a good running week!

marathon mom said...

There was no need to try to cover up. You looked great! I was actually surprised to see you and C show up in long sleeves this morning because I really didn't think it was that cold. Memories of the other day when we started in our jackets taught me a lesson. Have fun in S.D.!

c said...

I thought you looked great Patty and I think you could pull it off anytime you feel like it !! I was surprised that I could keep up with you two. Maybe there is hope for me after all. Maybe I will consider the marathon or at least keep trying to train for it ! I might be getting ahead of myself ??? Well I hope graduation is wonderful and not too cold Patty. Kwan I hope you have a restful weekend ! I am going to try to recover myself too !

Patty said...

You made our blog look nice again, I hated the mess I made. I think I heard "C" say she was going to train for the marathon with us. The way she has been running this week, she will be just fine. It is really incredible to me, that we are at a point where even when we don't feel our best, we can still finish an 8 1/2 mile run and put in a full day afterward! I am proud of us, and I have to say I would never be doing this alone.

marathon mom said...

My husband tried running by the train bridge this Sunday. The construction guys were gone, but the fence was still there and an ALARM goes off if you go anywhere near it! I guess we won't be climbing any fences soon.