Monday, June 29, 2009

Into the Wild?

Tonight, Marathon Mom, C, Mary and I started from Heritage Park and headed toward Bridgeport for a run around the lake. Marathon Mom and C were a bit sore from their hilly 8 miles yesterday, and I was just in a funk because I had a weird day a school. Mary was the only one with a little spring in her step, she really seemed like her old self on our run today, kinda bouncy. We had barely started our run when I heard what sounded like a large animal running toward me, through the bushes in the riverbed that borders the trail. I screamed and stopped short in front of Mary, and truly expected to be attacked and eaten by a large wild animal. As convinced as I was, the other girls were less so, and they jokingly referred to my "wild animal" several times on our run. I am happy to say that we made it back to the park safe and sound, and though our pace was slow, we put in our 3 miles, which always feels good. The weather is heating up and it seems like we are just drained by the time we start these late evening runs. I am thankful that my friends are willing to wait until later to run with me since I am working, I am just not sure if they would protect me from any "wild animals"!

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

It wasn't so much the noise of the animal that caught me off guard, but how scared you were of it. It was very much a wacky, into the wild run. Did you notice how I came to a complete stop and moved over when confronted by the duck? I swear he/she was staring me down to see who was going to move first. I was definitely feeling the 8 mile hill run from yesterday. My calves felt like bricks in the beginning; however, once they loosened up a bit I was sort of surprised that my legs felt as good as they did. I really like that route on hot, sunny days. There's a lot of shade that way. BTW, the cupcake was yummy!