Tuesday, June 23, 2009

800 Miles Per Year


The other day I was loading my Garmin into my computer and an idea came to me. I wanted to see how much I ran in one year. It looks like my friends and I are averaging around 800 miles per year. I'm sure this year that average will increase as we train for a marathon. For some reason it feels like we run more than that, I don't know why. Not that 800 miles is small potatoes. I also noticed that our average pace is now hovering around the low 9 minute/mile pace whereas a year ago, our pace was always over 10 minutes. Based upon these mileage totals, I suppose we should be buying somewhere between 2-3 pairs of running shoes per year, depending on the shoes we buy. One more year of running and we will have run almost the same distance as from one coast to the other. It's amazing what the human body can accomplish!

3 comments:

Patty said...

Wow, that really sounds amazing when you add it all up. We have come a long way since we started out together! When we are retired, we can start our "run across America" and our hubbies can follow us in the motor home. We do need to change the shoes sooner, that is for sure.

marathon mom said...

My husband is on a motorhome kick right now so I hope this idea doesn't add fuel to the fire. I just can't see my or your husband traveling across the country in a motorhome. Perhaps if it is well stocked with beer!

Patty said...

Beer is the common denominator! I have a motorhome facination myself, I dream about traveling across the country in one. We could trade running days, the guys one day and us the next.