Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Skirt

Well I was brave today and finally wore my new running skirt, which my husband called a running "dress" when he saw me. I figured today would be a good day to give it a try since I knew it was only going to be me and Patty on the run from Heritage Park to Copperhill. We don't usually see a whole lot of people on that trail so it was a perfect opportunity for me to try it on and get Patty's opinion on it. She said she liked it, but I'm not sure if she would be totally honest with me if it looked stupid on me. The skirt does eliminate that bunching and riding up of your shorts, but one thing I noticed right away was that it is much hotter than a regular pair of running shorts. Unlike the running shorts, which are made of a much lighter fabric, the skirt is made up of two layers of that stretchy fabric, one for the skirt and one for the shorts underneath. It wasn't so bad that I won't wear them again, in fact I might buy another pair. The bottom line is that they are comfortable. The ones I bought don't have a draw string so it doesn't quite feel tight enough around the waist, but they never fell down so I guess they fit okay. They certainly didn't hamper my run today. Patty and I kept a brisk pace of 9.3 and talked the whole way there and back. I felt like we worked hard, but didn't kill ourselves either. Both of our legs were feeling pretty tired in the beginning, but they loosened up on the way back. I'm just glad we got it out of the way.

6 comments:

Patty said...

I loved the skirt, it was very flattering on you! I would like to get one, but the idea of it being hotter than shorts does not appeal to me during the summer months. I did not feel so good on our run today which always amazes me after we have been running so well lately. Glad it is not always as hard as it felt today, and hopefully it will be better next time. I am kind of sore tonight, :(

marathon mom said...

Thanks for showing up. You must be really tired this week with the new work schedule. I'm impressed that you have the energy to run after getting up so early everyday. Our pace was a bit faster than what we've been running lately so that might be why it felt so hard tonight too. Just keep thinking 3 more weeks and then pretty soon it will be 2 more, then 1 more and then you'll be done!

Claire said...

I saw a skirt for sale a few weeks ago but didn't end up buying it. Angela wears one and really likes it, and it looks very cute on her, so I might be convinced to try one myself. I also need to get one if I ever hope to participate in the "skirt chaser" 5K that they do nearby.

Your fast pace is very impressive! Now that I have the Garmin to tell me just how slow I am, I am in awe of the fast runs you all do. I think I managed to get down to about 9:45 for about 20 seconds today while running on a downward slope. Usually I'm lucky to be in the high 10 minute range!

Keep up all the good work, it is so wonderful reading about your runs-not only am I inspired by them, but I don't feel quite so far away.

Picture Lady said...

I saw those running skirts, not so different from a tennis skirt. I usually wear the "stretchy fabric" tight shorts/Capri's to run (my yoga clothes). But recently wore an old pair of my son's loose running shorts on Wednesday. Running shorts ARE cooler! I always wore the "stretchy fabric" TO COVER - UP A BIT ... But, now smaller, I am less self conscious and had a good run on Wednesday.

Patty said...

Style-wise the running skirt is a hit, Marathon Mom looked really cute in hers. I am going to have to get one, but I am afraid of the attention I may get from the hubby. A woman exercising in a skirt would probably be a dream come true. I am not going to tell him about the race that some crazy women do in high heels!

marathon mom said...

I think the apprehension I have with the skirt is the look I might get from people not familiar with it. I could tell by the look on some people we ran by what they were thinking; "Why is she running in a skirt?"