Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hills from Hell!


When I looked at the marathon schedule it said 8 miles and I thought I could handle that. I vaguely remember the word "hilly" next to the 8 miles, but we train on hills all the time and didn't think it would be THAT bad. Boy was I wrong! As it turns out, their 8 mile loop is the hardest run on the schedule, which they informed me of AFTER the run. I dragged my husband with me in case "C" couldn't make it this morning, but she came and ran with me while my husband basically ditched me the first mile. From Granary Square, we basically started right into the hills of the Summit up Arroyo Park Dr and winding back down to McBean and back up Valencia to Rockwell/Tournament. Once we made it up to McBean and Tournament, we were to run down to Singing Hills where we were to run across the shopping center parking lot and onto Tournament for the first loop, and then we were to do that AGAIN. The good part of this section was 1. it was almost half way over 2. the water stop was there 3. after the last loop it was basically downhill from there back down Rockwell to Valencia to McBean. It felt like the COC summer series x 3. I have to give us credit though. C and I paced ourselves carefully and didn't go out too fast. The people who ran out too fast, we ended up catching on the hills when they had to start walking and we just kept up our steady pace. We never walked and we never stopped except for the water stops. I have to say that running on new routes makes the miles go by faster and it is better when you really don't know what's coming. It's really nice that the guy that runs the training runs gives you a map of where you're going. That way you can decide if you just want to go home before you even get started! As usual I'm glad I ran and did it, but I'm sure C and I will be paying for it tomorrow. My husband did great and even though he really didn't want to come with me this morning, he too was glad he did it.

5 comments:

Patty said...

I think I picked a good week to be busy! I feel bad complaining about our run last night after what you guys went through this morning. My husband was the one who insisted I get out and get as far as I could, I think because he gets tired of my complaining about missing my run. I also think my son was a bit generous with our pace but who am I to second guess him, he's good with numbers.

marathon mom said...

Just to warn you, next week is 10 miles to Mentryville. I think the plan is to run up McBean into Stevenson Ranch and turn onto Pico to the Ranger Station and back. It will still be somewhat of a climb going out. It might be a smaller group though because many of them are running the race on the 4th. I hope everything turned out well at the grad party and I'm sure your cupcakes were a hit!

Patty said...

I have done the 10 mile run to Mentryville and I liked it, but that was about 13 yrs ago. It's tough going out but is mostly downhill coming back. I have never done the route you did today, that I can remember, it looks horrible. I am hoping to make that 10 miler, I have eaten so many cupcakes that I need to run them all off. They were a hit and I am glad that is off my plate!

SD said...

wow, i jog/walk much the same route!! yours is a little different and my base (start/end) is the YMCA, but that is an excellent route!!

i might have to try it :)

SD said...

addtionally: please post all your training routes (if possible).. i always love finding new ones!! :D