Sunday, May 31, 2009

Learned Something New


It's funny how you run by something all the time and never notice some of the details until you run with someone new. Today I ran with my husband down the west side of the river trail to the old train bridge and up the east side of the river back to the house for 6 miles. I am always teasing my husband that I think he has A.D.D., but it was he who noticed that on the top of the train bridge it reads 1898 on both sides of the entry to the bridge. I told him it had nothing to do with paying attention, but more to do with height. Since he is taller than I am, it was more in his field of vision. Anyhow it is a beautiful bridge and we are very lucky to have the city include it as part of our trail system. I think one day, they will include it into the marathon course. Speaking of marathons, I was thinking of Patty's son this morning as I was running. He is running his first marathon in San Diego and she and her husband are there to cheer him on. He has youth on his side so I'm sure he'll do great.

5 comments:

marathon mom said...

Patty just text messaged me. Her son ran 4:15 for his first marathon! Wow!!!

Patty said...

Did you run with your phone? If so that is a pretty good picture. My son looked good for the first half of the marathon, but cramped up pretty bad from mile 14 on. He feels like he added about a half hour to his time. I am so proud of him for what he has done, and am inspired and scared to start training for our marathon! It was so much fun being there just watching, but it really made me want to be there running.

marathon mom said...

think we'll be better prepared. Your son pretty much took a crash course in marathons and he was able to get away with it because he is young. Does he want to do another one?

I actually didn't run with my phone. I googled it and found some info and pictures about that old train bridge.

Patty said...

I am hoping we will be prepared, you have to do it once to know what it feels like and what can go wrong so you can try to prevent those issues. The thing about a marathon is the first half is no indication of the second half, and that is the part that you need to be prepared for. He was talking about running San Francisco, but that was before he ran, not much on that after, we will see.

Picture Lady said...

Congratulations to your son on his marathon experience. My husband, my brother and my oldest daughter have all run marathons and savor those memories.
Love the train bridge. My middle daughter and I frequent it. We enjoyed observing a nest of baby crows on top a few weeks ago. Nice place to run.