Thursday, May 28, 2009

Older Women are Better?

I found this interesting NY Times article that discusses why women run better and faster in the older age groups. My friends and I have made the same observations. What we've noticed in many of the races that we've participated in is that the first place female is often in her 40's and that the toughest age group actually happens to be in the 45-50 age group. Sure, there are those few young runners that do win the races, but as a whole the older age groups seem to have the most fastest runners. Why is it that women get faster as they age up to a point, while men get slower? I always attributed it to the fact that many women in the younger age groups are busy finishing their education, having babies, or raising young children and therefore generally lacked the time to put into the running. Looking back at my own life, I really don't think I would have had the time or energy to run regularly while I was in my 30's. The article in the Times suggest that the improvement is due to the fact that we tend to take it more "seriously" as we become older. We appreciate the running more because we didn't have the opportunity to compete as young women and feel a new sense of accomplishment. I'm not sure I completely agree with that. Anyhow, read for yourself. And even if you're not in your 40's yet, trust me you'll be there sooner than you realize. At least there's hope and it's not all downhill after your 30's. Maybe there's something to look forward to?

"SEE JANE RUN: SEE HER RUN FASTER AND FASTER"
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/health/nutrition/30Fitness.html

5 comments:

Patty said...

Hmm, I guess I don't know what I am capable of. I feel good when I run, but when I am in a group or in a race I realize how "average" I am. I don't aspire for a 1st place in my age group, just a better time than the last one. I find that running with others makes me run faster, when you run by yourself, you just find a comfortable pace and stick with it.

justme said...

i just moved into the 40 rage and i was like, hell these ladies are fast. i always thought it was due to the fact that as we age the women who run average DON"T want to run races anymore, so the only 40 and older running are the serious atheletes ????

Claire said...

Well, I guess that gives me hope! I'll be joining the 30's in about 6 months, so I am on my way to being with the fast women.

And I do hope that as I get a bit older, that I will have more time to devote to running. Right now it seems like there is never any time!

marathon mom said...

Claire, just like you said, that's why I think there's more of us in the 40's that are running faster than their younger groups. We just have more time to dedicate to it. Also for those of us that run with a lot of talented runners routinely, we need a reality check. My friends and I gripe about our times and pace, but when thrown into a race with the "average" population, we're not so bad. And there's just as many, if not more, women running in the 40's age group than the younger ones so maybe you increase your odds of having faster runners?

Claire said...

Well I continue to be in awe of your paces/times, so in my mind, your group is anything but average!!

I got a Garmin for Mother's Day, and I haven't used it yet since I'm fighting yet another cold. I am nervous to find out for sure just how slow I am!