Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Long Road Ahead

Well I think I'm going to live up to my blog name and finally start training for a marathon. It's funny because I've been thinking about it a lot this last week, but was afraid to say anything to my friends in case it might scare them off and Patty was secretly plotting the same thing in her mind and hadn't said anything either. During our long run today ("C" was sleeping in), we both confessed our plans, which actually were quite similar. See, great minds do think (and scheme) alike! I think it was the fact that we were both feeling much better this morning on our run that gave us hope and confidence to even consider the marathon. We ran from Lowes to the Wiley Bridge on the South Fork trail and then headed back via the trail beside the Hart baseball diamonds for an even 8 miles, all under 10 min. pace. We got some good info from a seasoned marathoner at our local Starbucks so I think we're ready to go. Our plans are to run a half marathon in the fall/winter and then a marathon in early spring, possibly L.A., San Diego, or Santa Barbara. I'm actually looking forward to it.

5 comments:

Patty said...

I have to say that 8 miles in the cool morning air, is a whole lot easier than 4 miles, in the wind and the heat! Planning a trip to buy new shoes this week, my hip and hamstring are a bit sore, they are way overdue. I know you can do the marathon, but it does take time to train, we just have to take it one run, and one week at a time. If the "Biggest Losers" can do it, we can. I was even inspired by the loser in the movie "Run Fat Boy Run" and that was just a movie. You should watch it!

marathon mom said...

We should consider the Santa Barbara International Marathon. It's scheduled for Dec. 6th, which would work well with the training runs for the SCV marathon. The course doesn't look too bad, except for a half mile stretch of uphill at mile 23. Something to think about. We could also do the SCV half for a training run to prep for it.

Patty said...

I will check it out, I definately think we should go somewhere it doesn't take too long to get to. I am hoping it is cooler for your son's race, good luck to him and all the boys!

marathon mom said...

We got back from the CIF prelims at about 9:30. It took us 2 hours to drive there so that we can watch a 3 minute race. None of them had their best race, but I think they were ready for the season to end. I wish my friends could have been there, but I did the next best thing and took pictures of the VHS and WR kids. As usual, they're in my gallery.

Claire said...

Wow, you ladies are awesome! I am feeling like a running loser right now...my running has been nonexistent these past few weeks and here you are thinking about marathons!

Better get my act together if I hope to ever do a 1/2. I continue to be inspired by all of you!