Monday, May 11, 2009

I Need Sudoko!

I have heard that doing sudoko everyday will keep your aging brain sharp and keep you from having those "senior moments" that are inevitable at a certain age. Since I am truly hopeless with numbers, unlike many of my family members, and most of my friends, I chose to run. I have heard the same thing about running, so I have been counting on reaping the benefits mentally. I enjoy running so much more than trying to figure out where to put numbers on a grid! Well I am afraid that the running is not doing the trick, I had a morning that would point to that fact, and to the fact that maybe I need to add some brain stimulation into the mix. My #4 son turned 17 today, and in keeping with our family tradition, I had planned a breakfast of his choice before he went to school. I jumped out of bed when my alarm went off at 6am, made sure he was awake and went down to prepare eggs, bacon, and hash browns for him. I was really in the zone, and getting close to having it all done, when I glanced at the clock on my microwave and noticed that it said 5:23! I checked all the clocks downstairs and they said the same thing, no power outage to blame. I ran upstairs and sure enough my clock was off by an hour and I had just noticed. Luckily, son #4 is an early riser, so he took it in stride, but his little brother was pretty funny when he came down and realized that he was up a full hour earlier than usual (he is not a morning person). The good news is that they loved the breakfast, and got to really take their time getting ready for school. The bad new is that I am going to have to do some real brain calisthenics to make sure it doesn't happen again.

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

I love sudoko and do it whenever I have time to kill (which isn't often); however, I still have those moments when I can't even recall what I came into the room for. I've also heard that learning a new word a day in a different language helps with keeping the brain young. Maybe we should try practicing our Spanish while we run. Hmmm. I hope your son has a great day and hopefully you got to enjoy some of that yummy breakfast since you woke up so darn early to make it.

Picture Lady said...

Lewis Carroll the mathematician and writer;(your quote). No coincidence I assume. I like "Alice in Wonderland" days... gets the adrenaline pumping! Sounds like everyone getting up early worked out well. Happy Birthday to your son. My husband does sudoko, our family loves word puzzles. Wit, wisdom,wellness... It works out in the end. But, a little chaos really gets the day going!