Thursday, May 21, 2009

Perspectives on Walking

I have to say I'm NOT a walker. I'm just too impatient. If I can get somewhere quicker by running, then I'll run. Today I brought my dog to Central Park to visit other dogs at the park. I decided to take the long way and walked from the basketball courts on the XC trail to the dog park rather than going directly to it through the parking lot. I used to think the first mile of the XC course at CP was the worst part when running and now I'm convinced that it is. Today's walk confirmed it. When running that first mile, it seems to go on forever, but walking it feels like an eternity. In fact, I cheated by jogging that part here and there because I just couldn't stand it anymore. I suppose the walk put the trail into perspective for me. The next time I'm dreading that section while running, I will think back and remember that it's better than walking it. After all that walking, my dog didn't seem too interested in the other dogs in the park and wanted to get the heck out of there. I hope he enjoyed the walk!

P.S. I hope my friends were successful today with their shopping for running shoes.

4 comments:

Patty said...

I did get a pair of shoes and I can't wait to try them out! They tried to get me to buy the same ones I had been wearing but I really didn't want them. The ones I got were $30 cheaper so that alone was reason enough. They are Nike's and they feel so light and cushy, we will see. My friend ended up getting the SAME pair. I agree about the walking, I am just too impatient! Fido is not a "doggie" dog!

marathon mom said...

No, I suppose my dog is not a "doggie" dog. That's what you get for naming him "Phydeaux" instead of Fido. Oh and it was a good thing the "humper" wasn't there because that would have really sent him over the edge!

I can't wait to see your new shoes on Saturday.

Patty said...

I didn't mean to offend your dog, I do think you may have set the tone with the spelling of his name. Oh well, you don't have to spend your evenings at the dog park yelling at him to "stop humping" so count yourself lucky!

Patty said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have plenty of time to leave comments on the blog, because I am not doing anything tonight.