Saturday, May 23, 2009

Tempo Time

This morning we met at Peet's for a shorter "long" run since Patty and I had family commitments that we needed to get to. That meant that we were sort of pressed for time so I decided that we were going to do a tempo run. And as usual, I forgot to mention it to "C" or Patty until we were well on our way, but I think they figured it out by the pace we were keeping. I figured that we could sustain a 9.20-9.30 for an hour so that was the goal I had set when we took off. Tempo runs are supposed to be at a pace you think you can maintain for one hour without killing yourself. We were pretty good at keeping within our goal except that when I checked our time at the last mile mark, I realized we were running short on time so I decided to pickup the pace even more. The slower we ran meant we had less time for coffee and conversely the faster we ran meant we'd have more time to chat over coffee. The last mile was ran at under 9 min pace and we ended up running the 6.2 miles at an average of 9.23 min/mi. pace. Coffee is a great motivator especially when you have a long day ahead of you.

2 comments:

Patty said...

We figured you out pretty quick but the pace was good and something we can maintain for that distance. It was hard to make myself come and run with a headache, but I was glad I did, the rest of the day was long and exhausting, it was nice knowing that I had started it with a run. I hope your son had a successful day, mine not so much. Great video of the high schoolers racing on Don's today, WOW!

marathon mom said...

I know, we were right next door to the CIF finals with a five hour break in between games. I wish we could have gone to see the girls 800m race. I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten in. That event usually sells out. The weather couldn't have been better for those runners or soccer players.