Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Run

It is especially nice to be able to run with my friends on a Monday morning! I always have Mondays off of work but my friends do not, so since it was a holiday weekend I got a chance to run with Marathon Mom in the morning today. The weather couldn't have been any better, nice and cool, but not windy. We met at Peet's and decided to run the train bridge route in reverse. The thinking was that we would be able to finish in a blaze of speed on the downhill, and the last half mile would be easy. We forgot however that the trail that runs behind the apartments, and Pavilions is a very rolling trail, and it doesn't so much end on a downhill as a slight uphill. I must say that I felt pretty good until that last half mile when my legs were tired and I struggled with what seemed like a constant uphill grade. We ran 5.2 miles and if I am correct we kept it at around 9.3 pace, but we really felt like we were doing better until the very end. I think the reason was that Marathon Mom usually picks up the pace in the last mile to keep our overall pace down, but it was hard to speed up much today. I also appreciate the sacrifice that our military men and women and their families have made to give me a chance to live free in this country of ours. I miss my own son who is serving his country and has been very fortunate to be out of harms way. I will be saying a prayer for those who are not as fortunate.

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

Very well said at the end. As much as we complain and gripe about our nation, we are very lucky to enjoy the freedom that has been made possible by those who gave the ultimate sacrafice.