Saturday, February 28, 2009

Picture Perfect Day!

Today was a beautiful day for a run. We even had Picture Lady join us for the first time. She did great and hopefully she'll join us again. I'll have to remember to keep bringing those red ribbon markers. Starting at the trailhead from Peete's Coffee, Heidi ran/walked for 4 miles and C ran about 4.5 miles and had to turn back due to a leg cramp. Hopefully it's just from dehydration because it was warm out there. Patty and I went past the Wiley Bridge for six miles. When we were running back, we were talking about how much of what we do as runners is mental. Both of us agreed that running is probably 95% mental as you train yourself to ignore the pain or discomfort that you feel. We all go through so many cycles of different things bothering us, some bad enough to ground us for a while and some of which we ignore and run through. Today, Patty and I worked through the discomfort and ran a 9.18 pace for 6 miles. We even kicked it in a bit and ran the last mile at about 8.12 pace. It's very rewarding to see our overall time come down as we continue to add miles.

4 comments:

Patty said...

It was a perfect day to run, tank top weather, I hope it holds out for a bit. I agree with the running is mental idea, it is totally true, I have been through so many ups and downs with my running but I have been doing it long enough to know that it will get better and there really are no limits to what I can do. I don't think I can make the 6:15 on Monday, the husband is not off work like I thought, I will have to go out earlier ugh!

Picture Lady said...

YES!A beautiful day. I was dressed a little too warm with a long sleeve shirt and yoga Capri's. But, I am immensely proud of myself for facing my fears... joining 3 veterans and confirming my mileage.
I told my Picture Lady side kick about what marathon mom did with the mile marker red ribbons to help me pace myself... and achieve my goal for today. she said, "You're so lucky to have such a good friend!" I smiled and agreed. My son said, "Runners are nice like that!" As if it was a fraternity that he was proud to be a part of in his young life.
Today was a good day and I will be back for more next weekend!

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." ~Walter Elliott

Patty said...

It was warm today, but we were glad to have you along "Picture Lady". We provided a little relief when we breezed by the older lady, and she felt the wind. I am sure that surge caused the cramp in C's leg. We'll have to hold back a bit from now on.

marathon mom said...

On our last mile back, you have no idea how tempting it was to grab the leash from the old guy and hop on his Razor!