Thursday, February 26, 2009

These Dogs Are Tired!

I have always thought that was a silly expression, that older people used and I didn't quite understand. My husband used to say it a lot after a long day at work, or play, and I thought of it as something I would never say out loud. I must admit that tonight after running with C, I am home and my legs are achy and I caught myself thinking that "these dogs are tired". I am referring of course to my feet but I had a vision of two basset hound type dogs laying down with their tongues hanging out. It was a great day for a run, nice and warm and not too breezy, we put in close to 4 miles and I am ashamed to say that I was probably holding C back a bit. This has been a high mileage week for me and as much as I hate to admit it my legs are tired. I even had a bit of an argument with K today about how I needed another day of running during the week, well be careful what you wish for. I know we are all planning on taking tomorrow off, so we can gear up for the longer run on Sat, I hope I am up for it. I am off to pop some Advil and watch "America's Best Dance Crew" with my kids (you don't know what you are missing) and maybe I'll ice these "dogs".

3 comments:

Picture Lady said...

Well, I have been busy with "Picture Lady " stuff and had to catch-up on my BLOG reading tonight :-) You all have had a busy week!I promised Marathon Mom earlier in the week I would attempt to join you all on Saturday. This promise has consumed my thoughts!
I, you may remember, go out EVERY DAY for a 3 miler. This has been my religion for 2 months now. I am running ... no ... jogging 2 miles and briskly walking the first. I've gradually worked up to this and it is my time to plan my day, contemplate the meaning of life, consider global warming, and decide what I'm cooking for dinner. This week though... I thought about me, my goals and my plan. Well... running WITH you all on Saturday may be premature. Sounds like a weekday... when you all are weak from your Saturday run may work better for me!
I'm a happy 3-miler with potential. I really like my daily commitment and my dogs get tired also... well my hip at least. My goal isn't 10 miles . It was 1 mile in Jan.,2 in Feb. 3 in March, 4 miles in April and to be able to run with my son and daughters. My son is quite anxious for that moment. My goal has been about health and recapturing the youth I lost the past 4 years with weight gain and depression. I am now a lot happier and 20 lbs. thinner. Though running with you all would be fun... I'm thinking I'm not ready for anything more than 3 miles.
Give me the place and time for Saturday... I'll coordinate something. Until then...
"Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them doggies movin' RAWHIDE!"
~You'd have to be 50 something to remember that TV show!

marathon mom said...

Patty, does that mean you think your husband is old since he uses that phrase often? (I know he reads this) I'm glad you and C were able to go out without me.

As for Picture Lady, while some of us plan on running a longer run, I don't think all of us will. I'm not sure how long you intend to go, but if you don't want to wait too long for us to come back, you might want to start maybe 1/2 hour behind us so you can still end around the same time for coffee. We plan on meeting at Peete's at 8 a.m. I can give you the details of where the mile marks are from the trail at Peete's. Perhaps you can make Saturday your longer day also and venture out for 4-5 miles instead of your usual 3?

Patty said...

He is a bit older than I am, but if I say that is old then you can say that I am old and I am not. I really just thought the expression was a funny one. I am glad we got a run in, but we did really miss you. Picture Lady I hope you will join us on Sat. you did promise, do what you feel like and enjoy the coffee after!