Thursday, February 19, 2009

Water Tower

Today was a harder than usual workout. We wanted to make up for our lack of running these last few weeks so we ran the hilly paseos of Valencia. We met at our usual Chesebrough Park and headed into the paseos towards Helmers Elementary. Immediately we started on an incline, which is even harder when your legs aren't quite warmed up yet. Once we got onto the paseos, the trail evened up a bit and was more of a rolling hill workout. As we headed down behind Helmers, we decided to tackle the water tower road. I have attempted this road many times in the past and have never made it to the top without stopping. I am happy to report that I finally made it! And my friends were not too far behind me. Unfortunately once we got that over with, we still had to work our way back up the switch backs behind Helmers. All in all, it was a good run and I'm really happy that we were able to run two days in a row. Although I'm sure I'll hear about how sore they are tomorrow.

4 comments:

Patty said...

The only good part about running in the back is being able to curse out the person who's idea it was to run the hill in the first place. I know I didn't kill it but I definitely think it is doable, and is now a new challenge for me. I am glad we did it, and I am not planning on being sore tomorrow!

marathon mom said...

I'm already sore! The only way I know I'm actually improving is when I'm able to do something I wasn't able to before. The same is true with our run up the dirt trail from the Apple Core. Remember how we had to stop at the top of the gate or along the way up and now we are able to continue on? Remember. . .hills are intervals in disguise, but without the crowd.

Claire said...

I am so impressed-I remember walking up that path behind Helmers as a child and wanting to die!

I am very nervous that when I visit next time that I will be invited along to run up that path or some horrible hill. I need to start training now!

Picture Lady said...

Sounds like a good time! I'm jealous!
I've never gone up there... the no trespassing or keep out signs always caused me pause. However, I have a child who claims it is the best place to watch the fireworks if the police don't catch you.

I always feel good about my daily 3 mile commitment until I hear how far you all go when you run. I'm suppose to be the rabbit, but I feel more like the tortoise, slow and steady :-)
Well congrats on the water tower hill ~ charge on!
"Good luck is another name for tenacity of purpose." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson