Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Long and Winding Road

Today's run was just that, long and winding. All total we put in 7 miles, and managed to keep a very respectable pace (under 9:30, I believe). I know that we ran the first 3.5 miles at a 9:16 pace and that is very exciting for me, even if it was all on the downhill. We were joined this morning by C's two 19 year old daughters and our friend Mary. The girls ran on ahead, but I think just having them to follow made us run faster, and farther, because we ran an extra half mile to check on the one that was farthest to make sure she wasn't waiting for us on the train bridge. We started out from Albertsons on Copperhill and followed the trail to the train bridge, and then headed back the same way. When we were on our way to dinner last night there was much discussion about where we should run this morning be cause of the Amgen bike race that was coming through town, and because we didn't want the younger girls to get lost if we ran one of our more complicated routes. The fifteen minute discussion in the car gave my husband such a headache that he told me that is why he runs alone. Well, I beg to differ, because that fifteen minute discussion led to a very enjoyable run this morning that worked out in the best way for all of us. I will admit to being sore this afternoon, and I am sure even more so tomorrow, but am looking forward to our next run, Monday 4:30 @ Chesebrough Park.

7 comments:

marathon mom said...

I have to be honest. I used the ploy of making sure C's daughter wasn't waiting for us on the bridge so that we could run farther today. Sorry, but I figured our motherly instincts would kick in and fuel us farther. I think having C's daughters definitely helped us pick up the pace. I just hope I didn't hold one of them back too much.

Patty said...

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by our pace today and I know it was because of the girls. It is nice for you to have someone to chase for a change, how fast do you think our old guy from Starbucks can run? I am not at all into "instant coffee"!

Claire said...

Wow, 7 miles!! That is just awesome. Please keep in mind that when I run with you it will need to be a short and non-winding road :)

Patty said...

I am hoping the fact that you are planning on running with us means you will be out for a visit soon!

Claire said...

I hope so too, but I mentioned it because essentially every time I run I am imagining running with the MORE group and it makes me nervous! I suppose I do fit the MORE criteria but I don't know if I'm ready yet!

marathon mom said...

Claire, when you come out for a visit you can choose the place based upon what you've been reading on M.O.R.E. We promise, we'll be nice and won't abandon you in the middle of nowhere. That goes for anyone else who wants to try and come on a run with us. We always make it work.

Patty said...

That is so true, the thing I appreciate about running with my friends is their complete willingness to accommodate my schedule, my fitness level or just my bad mood. I don't come by that trait naturally, and I think that is one of the things my husband doesn't understand about the 15 minute discussions about where we are going to run. Thank you girls!