Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day Run

What better way to spend Valentine's morning than running in the freezing fog with my friend K! I am ashamed to admit that while I was getting ready to meet her, I was secretly wishing that she would call and cancel, because it was just too cold. It was cold when we started and pretty foggy, but there was no wind to speak of and I think that really made a difference. We started out going uphill for a bit which was a hard way to start a run, but then the inevitable downhill really felt good, in a way that I haven't felt for a long time. I know that it doesn't count to feel good going downhill, but I am going to take it, since I have really struggled through the last few runs. It wasn't all great and even though I made it up the hills at the end of the run for the first time, I was gently reminded by K, that I am not so much out of shape as just naturally slow (yes I think you said that). Well now I have something to work on. We managed to get in around 3.75 miles today, which considering yesterdays 5, is quite an accomplishment. Another storm system is supposed to be rolling in on Monday, so I am hoping it will wait until after our planned run that morning, I know it will be cold too, but I won't use it as an excuse as long as someone is out there with me. It has been wonderful celebrating this day with my family, I wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day, and Happy Running!

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

I KNOW I didn't say you were naturally slow or out of shape, I just said C has been running really well lately and that it probably has to do with her new "friend". It did feel great to be out there running this morning, although it certainly did not feel like it the first mile. I'm glad we hung in there and finished our run. There are so many times when I just want turn around and go back, today being one of them. We really have to mentally set a goal of how many miles we're going to run and not look back.

Claire said...

Naturally slow...you and me both!! I'm starting to accept that as my lot in life. But look at you guys-almost 9 miles over 2 days! Awesome!! That is definitely something I aspire to, so you should know that no matter how fast you are running, there are people out there in awe of how LONG you can run.

Patty said...

I do admit it wasn't those exact words, but I take it as a challenge to keep trying a bit harder, especially these days, when I just want to stop every half mile. I was very happy with our run, and I don't know where I would be without you guys to push me along. I grew up with 2 very naturally athletic sisters and it is just in my nature to want to keep up! Things are not looking too good for tomorrow's run, a big storm is supposed to hit today, maybe it will have cleared out by morning, let's hope.