Monday, February 2, 2009

Speed Work or Hills?

This was the question K asked me when we were discussing our run today and what we wanted to accomplish. Usually on Monday's we don't put in long mileage, because we are coming off of a longer weekend run. I had to smile though when she asked the question, because I wasn't quite sure what to say to that one, (neither one, came to mind). I had my first physical therapy session today, and the one thing the therapist told me about running was to stay off of the hills, so the obvious choice was speed work. Let me just say that "speed work" for ladies of our age, (to be fair K is younger by about 5 yrs) is kind of comical. After a short warm up, we were instructed to run a half mile at an pace out of our comfort zone, this was negotiated down from a mile at an uncomfortable pace. The comments from the girls were an indication of our enthusiasm for "speed work" for instance I heard "just about any pace is out of my comfort zone", "after a half mile, then what, we die", and classic was when K asked M why she was holding back, she said "I was afraid we were going to do repeats". It did feel good when we finished the half mile, and caught our breath, and realized we ran a pretty good pace, but it really makes you appreciate the work our kids put in on a day when they go out and run 10x800, or 8x300, or even worse "mile repeats". I hope they appreciate what their bodies can do, and enjoy their youth while they can. As for me, I made it through the "speed workout" and I feel pretty good!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

You only appreciate your body's ability to do those types of workouts when you get to our age. I better go charge my GPS for our next run to keep us honest. You all did great, but I was wondering why M was able to keep talking while the rest of us could barely breath. She WAS holding back!

Patty said...

I should have known, because when M is really running, I can never catch her. She was trying to hold me back by talking to me! I never trust the mileage without the GPS. I would be surprised if we did much over 3.