Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dreadmill


No the title isn't a typo. That's what I think a treadmill should be called. I know some of you rely on those mechanical things to get your workout when the weather is bad, but I have to be rather desperate to get on one. I have one and I swear the miles feel so much longer when I use them, even when I'm watching TV. Of course there's the whole coordination problem that I have too. Remember, I'm the one that slipped and fell off of a curb while trying to run in place. Can you imagine me on a moving belt? Let's just say I've had my fair share of close calls. Then there's the whole nauseating feeling I get when I'm done running on the treadmill. It's the same sensation I get when I just step off of a boat. With the threat of rain AGAIN, if our Monday morning run is canceled, I will have to resort to the dread-mill. This time maybe I should wear a helmet.

3 comments:

Picture Lady said...

Hey... "Dreadmill"...I have never been a machine person either. I tried joining gyms and found myself in the yoga or pilates classes verses the MACHINES. My husband bought a Bowflex and NObody uses it!
I don't run the miles you all do, but I go out every day! (for the past month & 1/2 that is)...Rain (there is always a lighter drizzle eventually), cold (I wear layers), whatever... it is invigorating and a good feeling to stay on task. I walk briskly 2 miles and now easily run the last mile. It works for me... journaling my day in my head as I go. I love the outdoors.

Claire said...

I have lost my footing on a treadmill before. It was at a gym too, not even in the privacy of my own home. I HATE the treadmill!

I know exactly what you mean about the miles seeming longer. And is it just me, or do they seem harder too?

marathon mom said...

Yes, they do seem harder and I tend to run with a very unnatural gait. Everyone says that running on a treadmill is easier, but I really think it's the other way around. The only thing that's better about the treadmill is that its somewhat easier on the joints. But it really is boring as hell! The only way it could compare to my actual running is if maybe my friends were on one right next to me for conversation.