Thursday, January 15, 2009

Swimming

I'd like to report that we followed through on our well-intentioned plans to go swimming, but we didn't. The first time we were training for the 1/2 marathon, we were pretty good about cross training in the pool, but for some reason we all seem to have different reasons for not wanting to get into the pool at this time of the year. Patty has her swimwear phobia and I . . . . . well, I just don't like the cold water and getting my hair wet. So we both used the excuse that we had to get tuxes for our sons for the winter formal. Then I later started to feel guilty for not swimming, although I was dead tired from looking at all sorts of suits and tuxes (way too many choices and they all look the same to me). I should have swam or done something, but I didn't. We really do need to get over it and get into the pool. Studies show that swimming 25 meters is equivalent to running 100 meters (4x the distance), but that must be for the really fit because I think it feels more like 8x the distance at a full sprint. Undoubtedly it is a great workout.

I hope Patty's MRI goes well tomorrow and she will be back on the trails soon pain free, otherwise . . . . its time to dust off those bathing suits!

2 comments:

Patty said...

Ooh, way to make me feel guilty! I do have a swimwear phobia. The holiday goodies and lack of running have not been kind. I am also feeling just dead tired, and I know it is because I am not out running with my friends, as hard as it is sometimes, I know it really keeps me going. I am hoping for some good news on the foot and getting back to it. I am going to give it a try on
Sat.

Claire said...

Is there anyone who doesn't have a swimwear phobia????