Saturday, January 24, 2009

Letting Go Slowly


Today was a day of many firsts. My oldest son took his first SAT today and then put on his first tux and went to his first formal dance. As all the parents gathered to send their children off in the limo, I wondered to myself if I was the only one feeling rather sad and anxious at the same time. So what does any normal person do to get over it and clear their mind? They go for a run and that's what I did as soon as they left. My husband and I ran to Heritage Park and back from our house and did some tempo runs along the way. That was another first in a long time. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! One good thing about tempo runs is that you know ahead of time that the agony is short-lived. We ran 3 short intervals along the trail, one lasting 1 minute, the other two lasting 30 seconds each. Overall, our average pace was 8.4 min./mile for 3 miles. Not bad considering I haven't done any speed work for 6 months or more. And the run did help clear my head and put me in a better mood. I know my running friends will also be wondering about their kids tonight at the dance, but they're pros at this stuff. I'm not sure if it gets any easier, but I'm glad I have them around to ask for advice.

2 comments:

Patty said...

It doesn't get any easier no matter how many times you do it! You will be a pro by the time #2 son goes through it and you will see. I have to say that yours is the best looking one in the bunch, good job with the tux!

marathon mom said...

I do have to agree, although I'm biased. I hope you, C and M took pictures also. We don't get to see all of our kids all dressed up often. We usually only see them in their running clothes!