Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Swim and A Run

I was really mad when my alarm went off this morning at 6am, because I remembered that I had agreed to meet Marathon Mom for a swim. It was nice and cool out, June gloomy for sure. Despite the foggy weather, the pool was pretty warm and it didn't take long for us to get used to the water and start our workout. The plan was to swim laps for 30 min. and it was clear in the first two laps that I am not the swimmer that I used to be. I really never had much upper body strength and I can tell that I have lost what I may have once had. It felt like I was just kicking my legs and flailing my arms, and of course going really slow. A younger woman got in the pool at one point and started swimming laps so effortlessly, that I was kind of embarrassed. She seemed to be able to hold her breath for quite a while, and I wanted to ask her for swimming lessons. It was a nice start to the day, we will see if my arms and shoulders are sore tomorrow.

Tonight we convinced our husbands to joining us at COC for intervals with the SCR's. The track was crowded with football players, and the SCR group was mostly men, faster men. We ran 400's, 600's and 1000's (ugh!), and finished up with a couple of 200's. All in all it totaled 4 miles, and my legs were like jello by the time we were done! The more we do the intervals, the easier it gets, so I am glad we went, and I think the husbands felt good too! Now if we could have just gotten out for a bike ride, we would be on our way to training for the Ironman

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

I think it's the swimming part that has always kept me from ever wanting to do a tri. I think swimming is like a lot of other forms of exercise. The more you do, the better you get. I'm glad we were able to double up and do both today. I feel like I got a lot done. The legs were feeling a little like jello by the end, and the stomach was still not settled, but it's always a good feeling to be done. I hope the hubbies can continue to join us too. They seemed to enjoy themselves.