Wednesday, June 9, 2010

We ARE Fast!

Well sort of, considering what pace we normally run.  Tonight Patty and I did our interval training again and this time I actually used the lap timing on my GPS to give us a better idea of what pace we are actually running during the intervals.  We started out from Heritage and ran the following:

1/4 mi jog
1/4 mi @ 8.23
1/4 mi jog
1/2 mi @ 8.50
1/4 jog
3/4 mi @ 8.28
1/4 mi jog
1/4 mi @ 7.26
1/2 mi cool down

We both felt pretty good tonight and was happy with what we accomplished.  This was an eye opener for both of us as far as how lazy we have been on our runs lately.  We're hoping that the intervals will help with the tempo runs, the true training for races.  I would eventually like to see us maintain a tempo pace for 3 miles.

The other thing we wanted to do is have some kind of marker along the trail for when we do these intervals.  It helps to know how much further you have to go.  We thought about putting ribbons or flags up at every 1/4 mile or even spray painting the trail (shhhhh!).  We decided that we will use the existing Storm markers which are every 1/2 mile and just do 1/2 mile and mile intervals.  Then after all that, we realized it would be much easier to just do the intervals on the track with the SCRs.  Oh well at least we can use the Storm markers just in case.  Tonight was a good run on some very tired legs.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I really like "our" intervals! I felt comfortable at every pace, and was thinking as we were running our first half mile at around 9 min pace, that we really have been taking it easy on our runs. It made me thankful for the GPS, because it really feels good when you know that you can do more than you thought you could. It also makes running the Heritage trail toward Copperhill so much more bearable. For some reason, any time we run that way, I struggle with my breathing, just wanting to stop the whole time. When we are doing the shorter bursts, even though they are faster, it changes up enough to make it easier to run, if that makes any sense. Anyway I felt good, and I feel good tonight!

Patty said...

I do realize, that we aren't really fast, but I do feel better when I run faster than usual!