Sunday, June 6, 2010

Swimming Solo

I finally got the nerve to go swimming early this morning.  I was feeling rather sore and stiff from yesterday's run and the thought of being immersed in water actually sounded quite good.  I got there around 7:30 a.m. and there wasn't a soul around and the fog was just skimming off of the top of the pool.  I dragged my husband with me because it was a little creepy being there all by myself.  I stepped into the water and was pleasantly surprised at how warm it was and had no problem going under.  I actually wish it was a little cooler.  As I swam from one lap to the next, taking a break in between, I noticed how much harder I was breathing in comparison to our 10 mile run the day before.  When we do the long runs, I don't really feel my heart rate go up, just pain and exhaustion in the feet and legs.  Swimming gets my heart rate up immediately and has me breathing pretty hard. I managed to swim 8 laps in around half an hour and I was done.  As long as the weather holds up and I have company, I plan on doing this again.  Next time, I am going to try bringing my goggles and snorkel.  This way I can continue swimming without coming up for air and straining my neck.  I remember watching the high school swimmers do this during their training so it must do some good, not sure what though.

Today, Patty's son was running his 2nd Rock n Roll Marathon down in San Diego. I believe this is his 3rd marathon?  She will have to tell us all about it when she gets back.

No comments: