Thursday, June 3, 2010

Intervals Training

After our last run together, I decided we really needed a distraction and to set some goals every time we go out there and run.  Part of the problem with our runs is that we just go out there and run without any focus or plan.  I decided to change all that.  I think that every time we run, the goal should be either intervals, distance, hills or recovery.  It's really that simple.  Today we worked on intervals, we being me and Patty.  We met at Heritage where we would have a fairly flat and straight course.  Our plan was the following:

1/2 mile warm up jog
1/2 mile at 9 min pace
1/4 mile jog
1/4 mile at 8.5 min pace
1/4 mile jog
1/2 mile at 9 min pace
1/4 mile jog
1/4 mile at 8.5 min pace
1/4+ mile jog and cool down

At the end of our last 1/4 at 8.5 pace, our average was 9.09 which included the 1/4 mile jogs in between so Patty and I think we actually ran under our targeted goals.  Breaking it down this way really made it easier to run faster because we knew that it was only for a short time. Next time we said we would use the lap function on my GPS so we can get a more accurate rate for our intervals.    The only thing we wish the GPS would do is announce the pace every once in a while so I don't have to keep looking at it.  The goal is to eventually extend the distance that we can run at 9 min pace or 8.5 min pace. Interestingly Patty thought the 1/2 miles at 9 min pace were easier than the shorter intervals at a faster pace, whereas, I felt the opposite.  I feel better with the shorter and faster intervals.  Hopefully if we keep this up, we'll meet somewhere in the middle.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Today's run was good, I like having a plan! It felt good to run faster, and really good knowing it would be over soon. I also think we need to organize our week, and have a plan for the days we run. I know that the days we struggle are because we are just out there "running" but not really RUNNING. We also need to give ourselves a break on recovery days, and not get upset about the slower pace, and sore legs. I felt like it was easier on the 1/2 mile at 9:00 pace, I really want the faster 8:30 pace to be over and start to slow towards the end.