Thursday, June 24, 2010

Onions, Poop, Smog, and Mulch

The C.O.C. cross country course is a plethora of smells.  When it's hot out (and it was hot out tonight) COC always has an unusual mix of odor.  Tonight as C, Patty, Marisol, and I ran the dirt course, I was first overcome by the stale smell of mulch.  Then as we went further along, Patty kept saying she smelled poop (there were a lot of dog poop on the trail).  Then there's the good old onion smell, which smells like B.O.  Every year as I run the summer series, I always get a nice whiff of the onions and it just makes me want to gag.  Then as you crest the top of Killer Hill, there's the smell of smog, which makes me start wheezing. I guess we have either weak stomaches or strong noses because a fellow SCR lady had no problem with the odor and was running the course 6 times at a very fast pace.  We managed 2 circuits at a very slow pace.  Patty was feeling out of sorts from a day at jury duty, C was at a new job, Marisol has been home alone with the kids for the whole week, and me. . . .well I've been busy sitting all day scrapbooking.  Nevertheless, we ran the course pretty hard by our standards and managed a 10.24 pace for 3.4 miles and at the end none of us had poop on our shoes.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Thanks for posting, you put our experience tonight perfectly. I felt really out of sorts and I can't quite figure out why. My feet are really hurting, and I am afraid I am going to have to get to the doctor, or stop complaining. Jury duty is really not so bad, except the sitting and waiting, knowing that they aren't going to pick me, and that if they would just ask me the questions, that I could have been out of there already. I am glad I don't have to go back until later in the day tomorrow, and can sleep in tomorrow!

marathon mom said...

We may need to change our plans for Saturday. It's 8.5 miles from Peet's if we run the train bridge, which may be iffy. I don't like to run by there if they are doing a lot of work on it. It will also be hot on that side of the river. We could start at Peet's and run toward Lowes and behind the baseball field, then into So. Fork. Then return on the trail behind the car dealers.

Patty said...

I vote for the route with the most shade! I have really been enjoying the sleeping in, but I will sacrifice for some cooler temps. Cross you fingers that I will be released from my civic duty today.