Monday, June 28, 2010

Masters Team?

This morning Patty and I met at Central Park for a very foggy, early morning run.  My son had XC practice so it worked well that we met there.  We ran the course fairly quickly because Patty had a very full day ahead of her. We finished with an overall pace of 9.14, which is pretty good at that park considering most of it is a sand pit.  As we ran around the course we were greeted with various groups of high school runners getting ready for their season, some more organized and disciplined than others.  I have to say my son's school is not so organized or disciplined.

Since Patty had to leave to start her busy day, I decided to continue running slowly by myself while waiting for my son to finish his workout, but then I "ran" into my friend who happens to coach the girls of the opposing high school.  I decided to join her and her group of girls for another 1.5 miles around the park.  They were finishing a 40 minute run at what felt like a 10 min pace, something I could manage.  As we were running and catching up with each other's lives, she asked me if my friends and I would be interested in joining her and her friends to compete at Nationals for the Womens Masters division.  I guess the finals are in February.  She mentioned the 40-49 group, but I know there is a 50+ group for our older friends.  She said they are still looking for more women for their team and mentioned some of the ladies already on the team and they are all fast, so I'm not sure why she is asking if me and my friends would be interested.  It sounds like fun and something to focus on, but I told her I couldn't commit because of my upcoming school schedule.  She did say I could still train with them and do whatever I can.  Hmmm, sounds tempting, but I will certainly have to think about it.  I did have a lot of fun running with the girls though.  They give off a lot of energy.

2 comments:

Patty said...

It was a nice morning, and since I was in a hurry, I was amazed at how quickly we were able to get our run finished. It was nice to see all the High School kids out there, I am really going to miss the XC season this year. I was also amazed at how many people were out running even earlier than we were! It would be fun to run on a Master's Team, but I don't think I would qualify, even as an alternate:)

marathon mom said...

You don't have to worry about "qualifying" for a Master's team, because all the qualification you need is to be old. Ha Ha. I think we're over qualified!