Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dork with a Snork

I must have looked a little odd to the other lady swimming in our lap pool this morning.  At 7:30 this morning I showed up with my goggles, ear plugs, nose plugs, and a snorkel.  After running intervals last night with the SCRs, I knew I wasn't going to be running today, but I wanted to get some extra cardio in by swimming.  I was also inspired by another lady at the track last night who mentioned that she was going to skip running the next day and swim instead.  She looked like she was in pretty good shape, so I thought I should follow her example.  If it works for her, it's gotta work for me, right?

I was able to drag my 15 year old out of bed to come with me since he has done nothing but sleep in until noon and needs to get ready for cross country training.  He sat in the jacuzzi for the first part and then eventually swam a few laps.  I was pleasantly surprised how well the snorkel works.  It saves me from straining my neck and I'm able to continue swimming longer without stopping.  I feel like I'm still breathing hard and getting my heart rate up, but it's not a constant struggle for air.  I like this swimming in the early morning thing.  This way, no one sees me with all my gear and I'm able to swim nonstop for about half an hour, just in time to see the last few moments of the U.S. World Cup game and the amazing goal at the end

2 comments:

Patty said...

I am laughing at the visual of you in all your gear! Good for you, for getting out there. My son is home for a couple of days and got up even earlier than I did to watch the World Cup on the big TV. I got to see the last third of the game and I couldn't believe the amazing finish. We are all soccer fans today!

marathon mom said...

My son comes downstairs and says, "Mom, did you hear our neighbors yelling after the U.S. scored?". I had to fess up and tell him it was actually me.