Saturday, June 5, 2010

10 for 10

Today we (me, Patty, and C) did our usual long run of 10 miles and we started a little earlier at 6:50 a.m. since some of us had a busy day ahead.  Well it wasn't early enough because it was sooooo hot out there already by this morning.  I think 6:30 would have been a better start time.  Even on these long runs I try to have a goal and so I wanted to shoot for an average of 10 min pace for the entire 10 miles, which we did today but it was really hard.

Because we started earlier than the SCR group we were well ahead of them and the big group didn't actually catch us until we were almost on the South Fork Trail.  It felt like we were being swallowed by a stampede.  I am just so glad we didn't cut it short and actually finished the entire 10 miles in a decent time.  What's good is that we finished around the same time as the rest of them, so I didn't feel like we were the last ones in.

Our next run will be a tempo run of about 4 miles from Bridgeport.  Here's some info I got on Runner's World for tempo runs:

RACE Add 20 to 30 seconds per mile to a recent 5-K pace; 15 to 20 seconds to your 10-K pace. Faster runners should add the higher value (resulting in a slower tempo pace) because they often race at an anaerobic level; slower runners should use the lower number to ensure they're running fast enough.
So that means for me and Patty, we should be running around a 9.24-9.30 pace for about 35 minutes. I think we will start with a mile warm up and then try to hold that pace for the next 3 miles. Seems easy enough until we actually try to do it.

2 comments:

Patty said...

My knee is sore after today's run, so I hope that I can keep up. It has been a long day, and is not over yet. I am glad I was able to finish today's run, but I am not looking forward to a summer of those. I also am hoping that I didn't do anything to my knee that is going to linger.

marathon mom said...

After the last couple of runs, especially the long runs, I have been having really bad heel pain. I'm hoping it's not plantar fasciitis.