Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Good Old Stand In

I have to give my husband credit, whenever my friends bail on me at the last minute he usually comes through and runs with me. Tonight, he wasn't too enthusiastic about going to do intervals with the SCRs, but he came anyways.  I told him there were a lot of slow ladies there last time, which boosted his confidence.  I didn't mention that my friends and I were the slow ladies.  Anyhow, it was a much faster group tonight, less ladies, more men.  Our workout consisted of the following:

4x400 regroup each one faster than the last
2X800 jog 200 after each set
400 recovery jog
4x400 regroup each one faster than the last
2 laps cool down
4 miles total

I did everything except for the last full 800.  I modified it and ran a 400 instead, but ran an extra lap of cool down. Our coach kept reminding us to keep hydrating and take the first few sets slower and not go out so hard.  When someone asked how fast to run the 800, I liked what he said, "just above walking pace".  Now that's my kind of pace.  I'm glad I wasn't last.  There were still some others behind me, but even if I was last, I'm starting to feel okay with that as long as they aren't waiting too long for me.  I like doing the intervals with the SCRs because I know that if I was running by myself, there is no way I would work this hard.  My husband was even glad he came and said he will join me again next week. Hopefully my friends will too.  It was so hot and humid that we both ran out of water by the end of the workout.  Got to remember the Gatorade.  As soon as we got home, we quenched our thirst with a nice cold beer.  There's nothing like a cold beer after a really hot run.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I am glad your hubby came through for you! I need to be more realistic about running when my kid is visiting. I was looking forward to doing the intervals, because last week seemed to be manageable. After seeing what the workout was tonight, I don't know if I would have made it. Guess I will have to catch up next week.