Monday, June 7, 2010

Taco Night

Marathon Mom and I decided it was time to move our afternoon runs, to 6pm because of the heat. This really threw off our dinner making plans, so we were lucky enough to convince our husbands to pitch in and get tacos started while we were running! It seems to take a few times to adjust to a new schedule, so I am sure it won't be long until, we will be doing both making dinner, and running.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to handle the "tempo" run that we had planned for today. My knee has been hurting, and a weekend of partying and running around cheering for my son, didn't help. We started a Bridgeport School, and headed toward the water pipe on the other side of Bouquet. We ran 3 miles, and the idea was to do a mile and half at a comfortable pace, and then a mile and a half at tempo pace, which is comfortably fast. We did the whole 3 miles, at 9:50 pace, but the second mile and half was at 9:15. It is funny because there were times during the slower half that I struggled and had trouble breathing, and times during our faster half, that I really felt comfortable, and was able to talk. I did notice that we were done faster than we usually are, and all in all, I felt good during the run, my knee hurt a bit at first, but then went away as we ran. Both of us are having problems with our feet, and are trying to decide if we need new inserts, or just new shoes. I am thinking I will start with the cheaper option and see if that works.

I had a great time at the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon yesterday, cheering for my #3 son! He finished in 4 hours, which was about 30 min. slower than he wanted, but 15 min. faster than last year. He said he cramped up again after the halfway point and had to stop and walk. I know how disappointing this is to him, but he was in good spirits, and seemed glad to have us and his Grandma there cheering and chasing him. My mother-in-law, who lives in San Diego, wants me and my friends to run next year. I am not sure if I am up for running a full, or even a half marathon, and then waiting in line with the other 30,000 runners to get shuttled back to my car. I was sooo tired, but I couldn't complain because my MIL who is 78, cheered for every runner, and never said anything about being tired. She thinks it would be exciting for us! We will have to see about that.

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

You should be tired with all the activity you had this weekend. It sounds like you had a full two days. I iced my feet when I got home, but they still ache. Mentally it is easier for me when we have somewhat of a plan and stick with it, even if it is harder physically. I also like the fact that we get done earlier, which is a plus if we are starting later. The taco thing was so weird and coincidental. What are the odds?

Being a runner myself makes me a much better spectator and I can appreciate how much each person puts into a marathon, regardless of what their time is. I'm sure your son feels good about the fact that you can totally relate to how he is feeling when he is out there. As for running with 30,000 in a marathon? Not so sure about that. I don't like people all that much, but I guess I should never say never.