Thursday, July 30, 2009

Glad It's Over

Well we did it. We came, we raced, and we finished the C.O.C. summer series. I can't really say I'm happy I did it, just happy it is over and done with and I can say I ran one this year. However, no matter how miserable I feel during the race, it is a great gathering place to see old friends you've met throughout the years of running. It is a great community event and it's fun having all my friends suffer with me, especially since it was their idea to run it in the first place. I know I didn't break any of my own records, but I think C did and perhaps Patty did too? Patty's husband broke 25 minutes and met his personal goal. Sea-N-Sun came and ran her first summer series with us. She did great and just zipped up those evil hills. Just with a little more miles of conditioning and she is going to leave us all in the dust. The weather was perfect, it was the most coolest night of the summer series I can remember. I especially enjoyed the after-run dinner and beer with friends.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I am glad it is over, the nerves that lead up to it are to worst. I had wanted to run faster but it was so much fun to be out there with everyone, knowing we all felt the same way, nervous, tired, we wanted to walk, relived to finish, exhilarated that we did as well as we did. The feeling afterwards is worth everything that comes before, at least tonight it did!

marathon mom said...

Here are some interesting results from previous years:

08/2007 (2 years ago)
Me 26:07.5, Patty 31:33.8, C 31:41.2

07/25/08 (last year)
me 25.08.1, Patty 27:37.3, C 28:16.4

So it seems that while my friends are getting faster, I'm getting slower. Hmmm. The only thing I can think of that I'm doing differently this year is running more miles, but no speed work. I need to get back to doing the interval workouts. It seems that even Patty and C may have plateaued based upon these figures. I thought we ran more races than the what I came across, but I was only able to find a few race results for us in the last two years. I thought I was imagining things when I kept thinking that I was trying to break 25 minutes last year. NOW I'm just trying to break 26. So depressing.