Thursday, July 23, 2009

The 19th Wife

Well I finished reading The 19th Wife. Would I recommend it? For most people, I would say yes. I'm not particularly interested in the history of the LDS or the Mormon church, but the story is more than just about religion and polygamy. I think on a deeper level, it deals with the question of why people willingly follow a cult or a leader and continue to ignore the little voice that tells them that something is wrong. It's not too different from the question of why so many Germans supported Hitler in the extermination of Jews or any other genocide that has gone unchecked for a number of years. What is it that cause masses of people to commit or support atrocities against each other? It was an interesting look into the world of polygamy and the reasons for the willing participation of the plural wives. I think the author did a good job of intertwining the fictional and documentary parts of the book and bringing it all together in the end. I would say that the book was educationally entertaining.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I commend you for getting through this book, not sure if it is a subject that interests me. There is a reason that I am the only woman in my household! Did you see in the paper where they convicted Tony Alamo of child abuse, I am glad, it seems like this practice is similar and bothers me a lot. Still working on "Twilight".