Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Need for Speed

Right now I'm on a mission to bring our pace down. I think my running friends have finally caught on to me. The way I look at it, if we're running long and slow on the weekends and running short during the week, why not bring up the heartrate and work on some speed on those short runs. Today, we (Patty, C, Mary, Karen F. and I) ran from C.P. up Bouquet to Plum Canyon and back. Overall we ran a 9.2 min/mile pace; however, we were running rather fast on the way back averaging 8 min/mile pace. The problem is the uphill. That just seems to increase the overall pace. It is a steady climb all the way to Plum Canyon and the way back is really nice with a steady downhill. The route is pretty much all in the shade too, which makes for a comfortable run. During the week, we will need to make sure we're not running too many miles, otherwise we may end up with injuries once we start our REALLY long runs. I really don't see a problem with keeping our runs to 3-4 miles as long as we work on the heartrate and the speed. OK, get ready for race pace on Friday. Until then, I'm as soooo looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow!

1 comment:

Patty said...

Yesterday the pace really took me by surprise, today I was ready. I felt really good on the way back, I knew we were keeping a good pace, and I felt like I could maintain it, I even felt pretty good on the uphill. It always amazes me how when I don't feel all that great, you tell us our pace was really good, but on the days that I feel like I am really strong, the pace is just OK. I know 9.2 is really good for me, but I was thinking it would be better. Who knows how the legs will be on Friday, but I am also looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow, and having the whole day off.